Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Possible features for TinyBuddy IM v3

Here are some things I'm looking at for future TinyBuddy IM releases. I hope that most of these will make a v3 release, but we'll see how it goes:

* Convert the UI to follow iPhone standards as demonstrated by iUI. I'm not sure yet if I can use iUI straight out of the box, but I'll be looking at it, if anything for inspiration (The main issue could be licensing/legal stuff -- if I want to open source my code, I need to have some very clear code copyright/licensing history. More info below).

* Try to open source the TinyBuddy code.

* Offer an https option, so that all IM traffic is encrypted.
 
*Add a preference on the sign-in screen to specify whether to use the alphabetic buddy listing or use the AIM groups for buddies.

Feel free to offer other suggestions. Keep in mind I want to stay true to these principles:

* Stick with pure HTML/CSS/JavaScript for the interface.

* Continue to rely on the AIM servers for logging in the user, so the code does not see the user's password.

* Make it possible to open source the code, perferably to the same standards that Dojo uses for its code (clear tracking of who added what to the codebase, offer the option of either Academic Free License or the BSD license on the code).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just checked out iUI more closely, and since it is BSD licensed, I should be able to use it. So I'm proceeding with that.

Anonymous said...

I would like it if all my buddies would show when I sign on.... Thanks!!!!

Anonymous said...

andradejordan: are you saying you even want to see all your buddies, even the offline buddies? Or that you want to include the Recent Buddies that are online (right now online Recent Buddies are not shown by default). As of version 3.50, there is a hyperlink on the start page for TinyBuddy IM that allows you to see online Recent Buddies. Click the hyperlink, then click the Start button to see them.